Skip to main content

What mint can do

I looked at Dal makhani. I went with Red Lentils - not time to soak. When we talk about measuring things as an easy peasy thing to do, have you seen how many mess ups happen during that. You are interrupted during the count, you cant remember where you stopped. You put the tea on stove and you were called to attend a phone call, now did you put the sugar in or not. Best is when you forget to switch the stove on and blissfully imagine that you are getting close to the tasty moment.
My today's situation of the ultra thin red lentils was that it was only 3/4 of a cup. I thought may be its good too that it is little, cause how much can 2 people eat without getting bored of eating the same thing. But there are some who like Porridge nine days old (dont try that its only for the tots book world). Recently I had made spinach with potatoes in a proportion where I have sworn off that combination for a while now.
When it came to the moment of reckoning, I forgot everything and added 2 and 1/2 cups. I might not have been totally responsible for what ensued later. All I heard was that the pressure cooker was in a hurry leaking water and a while later.. a big puff. Some time later when we thought that there might be nothing left for the pressure cooker to work on, we switched off the stove. Ah the waiting time. This and the blender are such breaks in the river of cooking. But still we need them for their skill. I let it cool down. When I opened it, around the time I was hungry and downed 2 energy bars (one of it is oats and chocolate. For some reason its in the fridge. Its hardened, I cant bite fast enough into it. The other is the fruit and nut. I have been missing nuts for a while now, so just had it even though i had enough energy from the first.) so I can cook, what should I find. The dal has boiled down. And above it is a thick band of black. Any cook's easily dreaded color, except when charred is in your menu.
After salvaging, what could be, I found a small aluminium colour piece and showed it to my husband. The clue to the cooker's misbehaviour. Out come the repair stuff to fix the valve.
When the dal reached the boil, when I found mint instead of cilantro, I put in a few sprigs of it. That has added such a flavor to the dal that we were ready to forget the unpleasant incident and forgive the vessel that needs great cleaning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

October butternut cake

October butternut cake  tasted a bit - airy like corn bread. Skipped the frosting and used melted chocolate and served it with frozen custard.