Skip to main content

The thing we call custard

Usually when I am making a dessert to take it to friends, I make it in a big dish as it is easier to transport. The making of pots de creme called for individual ramekins but I used the smaller anchor baking dish and one ramekin so we can check how the dessert tastes before the rest have it. 'set but center should jiggle', how much of center? Individual ramekin wasnt getting set. At one point of time while the bowl reached the point I was looking for, the sampler didnt. After a bit of cooling, I had a spoonful of it, let my husband have a spoonful of it and then something took over me and I left two spoonfuls so it could be chilled before 'serving'.  Come to think of it, the sampler was so my husband could have some sweet dessert to himself. But I have seen when it comes to 'cream', I eat ravenously. While eating faster than I could admire the dessert, I realised it tastes like Custard, way better for the no stirring needed when baked.
The batter had tastes and smells like custard. Its weird to come across the original and think it smells like the processed. When I mixed yeast in warm water for the first time, I thought it smelled like bread. As kids we used Weikfield Custard powder. The powder was boiled along with the milk. I was never good at getting it to set. what we had was custard flavored ice. So the powder must have cream and egg yolks. But from the history of custard powder in India, I was surprised to find 'no eggs' on the packet. Eggs are susbstituted with Corn starch. So what is the custard smell? Cant be just cream. Oh I remember, I added vanilla, could it be that?
Its used in Eclairs and Boston Cream Pie. All we need is the doughnuts and cakes!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

October butternut cake

October butternut cake  tasted a bit - airy like corn bread. Skipped the frosting and used melted chocolate and served it with frozen custard.