Skip to main content

High school memories

My neighbor once offered me a sweet dish. She had boiled diamond shape cut rolled out dough in water, sugar and elaichi.She introduced me to Knol-knol/Kohlrabi.

Know your ingredients
I made upma after learning how to from my mom. As I came to the end of the process, I realised the upma wasnt soft to the touch and was uncooked to the palate. Later I had to throw it all away, as I had made it with Idli rava instead of Upma rava.
When I met my husband first at his apartment, he recalled how by mistake he had once given someone salt instead of sugar. As a symbol of a sweet life ahead he wanted me to start with sugar in my mouth but ended up putting salt.

Potluck
For an SUPW class, each of the students had to bring something they cooked. I hadnt learned cooking by then. one year my mom made vegetable biryani. Many of us did that, passing off food cooked by our moms as our accomplishment. another year we dunked chunks of whole bread in bengal gram batter and fried them. I got the reputation of 'Pehelwan' - body builder of taking the stocky bread fries. A classmate brought carrot juice and another brought egg biryani.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

October butternut cake

October butternut cake  tasted a bit - airy like corn bread. Skipped the frosting and used melted chocolate and served it with frozen custard.