Skip to main content

Potato Whirls and Whorls

Potato Whirls and Whorls
Crispy, golden fluted edges of piped mashed potatoes
Duchess potatoes formed the border of Homard Thermidor on the luxury liner according to ‘Last Dinner on the Titanic Menus and recipes From the Great Liner’. These Whirls and Whorls are a good way of bringing elegance to snacking.
Duchess potatoes are made by piping out mashed potatoes, cream, eggs, butter, salt and any seasoning and then heated till golden brown. They taste great by themselves. They can be infused with any flavor.
To customize them, Whirls can be cut like a bagel and had with any dip in between as sandwich bites. Whorls piped as nests can then be filled with dips according to the favorite flavors of the family members.
Since these cooked potatoes are shaped by piping. They can be piped into any shape. The Boston Cooking – school cookbook offers ideas of baskets, pyramids, crowns, leaves and roses.
They can be used for decoration too and as accompaniment to other dishes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egg Malai Masala

  Egg Malai Masala  Its fun when things turn out as they should. I pureed the onions and then cooked them well. I added the milk for the egg Malai Masala and made chicken curry with other half of the onion base. I used kasoori methi in both. Many times I have felt the onions grainy, but this time I got it right. Patience.

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

Mohanthal

Today I learnt of Mohanthal from a neighbor at community potluck. One of the dishes was a malai kofta made from mexican squash. Another neighbor spoke about how hard she found to make batura. She said that as she would shape the dough, it would spring back to its original shape. That makes me appreciate the complexity of dishes and the act of cooking. My neighbor impressed with my interest in he sweet, shared some Mohanthal with us. It is truly a sweet from heaven. I was reminded of a sweet from my marriage. Another neighbor quipped about the satisfactoin of eating when very hungry and not as much when you eat on time everyday, which resonated in the following lines of Charles Bukowski in  Wandering in the cage. "the best thing about near-starvation and hunger is that when you finally eat it is such a beautiful and delicious and magical thing. people who eat 3 meals a day throughout life have never really tasted food… "