Skip to main content

Dum Aloo and Rajma



For the potluck, I made Dum Aloo and Rajma


There were some interesting twists. Eggplant curry with coconut milk, bajji with curry leaves. The eggplant had tasted very creamy and smooth. When I was asked to guess the ingredients, I made an unconvinced guess of sesame and poppy seeds. For the third time, when I gave an answer without thinking, it was right.

Dum Aloo had a nice taste to it. When it got too watery, I added some besan to it at the end. Tastes like a kadi sabji without being too extreme. The potatoes too tasted good. My sister thought if it was arbi. There's another idea now. Dum Arabi. The night before, when I didnt have energy to boil potatoes. I used sauteed capsicum instead.


Now I am always going to make Rajma this way.

From my friend:
Rajma –Recipe: I learnt making Rajma from Vahchef recipe online and now I just make it on the fly. Today I made it as follows:
1)      Soak Rajma (2.5 cups) overnight and add 5 cups of water and pressure cook it for 3-4 whistles on medium flame
2)      Heat little oil in Kadai and add 1 clove, 1’ cinnamon stick and 1 elaichi and ½ Costco size Yellow onion finely chopped
3)      Once onion looks translucent, add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, 1-1 ½ tsp ginger-garlic paste and fry
4)      Finely chop 4 tomatoes (Roma) and add it to the above mix
5)      While the tomatoes are cooking add required salt, 1tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp jeera powder, 2 tsps Chilli powder and ½ -1 tsp Garam masala. (You can adjust chilli and garam masala according to your spice level.)
6)      Now add almost 1/3 cooked Rajma and also leftover liquid that you have in cooker (used for cooking Rajma) to the Kadai and let the mix cool before you grind it to a smoothie consistency
7)      After grinding, put the mix back into Kadai and the remaining Rajma (with remaining water) and cook for desired consistency.
8)      Before switching off flame (heat), add fine kasoori methi leaves and mix it well for 2 mins or so.
9)      Switch off the flame and add chopped cilantro and butter to taste.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

October butternut cake

October butternut cake  tasted a bit - airy like corn bread. Skipped the frosting and used melted chocolate and served it with frozen custard.