Skip to main content

Complete Childrens cookbook



Grease spoon with oil before measuring maple syrup or honey

What are the skills that cooking needs? First off, there are different styles of cooking. Lets take the example of baking. If you are going to make a layered cake, how will you ensure that you have split the batter equally into two pans. I never faced this problem, as I never made layered cakes this way. But author Jessica Fechtor in her book Stir offers cute ways of doing so. First, stick toothpicks into the pans after pouring the batter, and then make sure that both are in upto the same level. Another is use a ladle and measure the batter by ladles to ensure that both pans have same amount of batter. So see, cooking will put many challenges in your child's way which they can solve in any ingenious way up to them.
Complete Children's Book starts with many easy kid friendly recipes like Granola and Granola Bars. It has 'Four ways with..' section after the recipes which will enforce to kids that they dont have to follow the recipes to the letter. They can replace any of the ingredients with a similar one and get creative and modify the recipe to their liking.
With time for preparation, actual cooking, number of people the food serves, Ingredients and Equipment, kids can learn many important concepts like planning, mis-en-place for smooth cooking and also knowing proportions, so nobody goes hungry.
The photos of each step along with little chefs handling the ingredients makes it easy for kids to relate to cooking.
Raisin cookies, Coconut cookies, Melting Moments, Orange Oatmeal cookies, Rocky road cookies are the recipes that I am interested in trying. I didnt realise that vegetable mousakka was so easy to make.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egg Malai Masala

  Egg Malai Masala  Its fun when things turn out as they should. I pureed the onions and then cooked them well. I added the milk for the egg Malai Masala and made chicken curry with other half of the onion base. I used kasoori methi in both. Many times I have felt the onions grainy, but this time I got it right. Patience.

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

Mohanthal

Today I learnt of Mohanthal from a neighbor at community potluck. One of the dishes was a malai kofta made from mexican squash. Another neighbor spoke about how hard she found to make batura. She said that as she would shape the dough, it would spring back to its original shape. That makes me appreciate the complexity of dishes and the act of cooking. My neighbor impressed with my interest in he sweet, shared some Mohanthal with us. It is truly a sweet from heaven. I was reminded of a sweet from my marriage. Another neighbor quipped about the satisfactoin of eating when very hungry and not as much when you eat on time everyday, which resonated in the following lines of Charles Bukowski in  Wandering in the cage. "the best thing about near-starvation and hunger is that when you finally eat it is such a beautiful and delicious and magical thing. people who eat 3 meals a day throughout life have never really tasted food… "