Skip to main content

Food at hostel

Reading of Balzac's childhood hardships in Balzac's omelette, regarding the bad food he had to live on, I was reminded of my relation with food at hostel.
The students who ate meat were seated in a different section. under the tubelight, the chicken pieces glistened with tiny hair. Lemon cucumber curry was our least favorite. My sister would throw some of her share under the table.  Sappadi pappu was my favorite. Its a simple runny version of boiled lentils with salt added. My love for it had made rounds. seniors asked me if I liked it, I said "yes". Then they dumped all their food into my plate. I had already had my fill. when I said yes, I meant in general and not limitlessly. Thats my first gorging unpleasant memory. Goduma rava upma in huge quantities turned out perfectly dry with no icky sticky business. Tamarind chutney with its red tantalising color and red chili pepper seeds in it, I wasnt grown up yet for that taste.

Before being sent to the hostel, my playmates scared me that there would be worms in the hostel food.

While reading of quarters in Balzac's Omelette book, it suddenly flashed why the housing at an Ordinance Factory was referred to as quarters.

10.22.11
At the grocery store, we are looking for cracked wheat.
A: "Whats cracked wheat #1 and cracked wheat#2?"
Theres no way to tell them apart with list of ingredients.
we pick the one with finer size, given the infamous long time this upma takes to get cooked.
 Today, after cooking the upma, I can relive the food we had in hostel. The smell and taste just like then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

October butternut cake

October butternut cake  tasted a bit - airy like corn bread. Skipped the frosting and used melted chocolate and served it with frozen custard.