Skip to main content

The smell of jaggery

 As kids, we learnt of medi pandu or cluster fig as an inedible fruit. I dont like the Newton fig bars. I read about figs last year around this time, when they were in season. I got to have fresh Black mission figs from my friends backyard. We decided on the kind using a 'Trees of North America' book. I hadnt seen a fresh fig until then and never wondered why they were always available dried.  I bought dried Calymyrna figs a while ago, but didnt get to eating them. The main reason was that they still retained their whole tiny pear form and light jaggery colour. I am used to seeing figs in their pressed to a circle and dark brown form for ultra packaging reasons. On a trip, I had the figs. But when I bit into the Calymyrna figs - the peel wasnt too dry or scaly like that of a date, it was still soft to the chew and the inside with the tiny brown-yellow seeds tasted like jam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

October butternut cake

October butternut cake  tasted a bit - airy like corn bread. Skipped the frosting and used melted chocolate and served it with frozen custard.