Skip to main content

The smell of jaggery

 As kids, we learnt of medi pandu or cluster fig as an inedible fruit. I dont like the Newton fig bars. I read about figs last year around this time, when they were in season. I got to have fresh Black mission figs from my friends backyard. We decided on the kind using a 'Trees of North America' book. I hadnt seen a fresh fig until then and never wondered why they were always available dried.  I bought dried Calymyrna figs a while ago, but didnt get to eating them. The main reason was that they still retained their whole tiny pear form and light jaggery colour. I am used to seeing figs in their pressed to a circle and dark brown form for ultra packaging reasons. On a trip, I had the figs. But when I bit into the Calymyrna figs - the peel wasnt too dry or scaly like that of a date, it was still soft to the chew and the inside with the tiny brown-yellow seeds tasted like jam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egg Malai Masala

  Egg Malai Masala  Its fun when things turn out as they should. I pureed the onions and then cooked them well. I added the milk for the egg Malai Masala and made chicken curry with other half of the onion base. I used kasoori methi in both. Many times I have felt the onions grainy, but this time I got it right. Patience.

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

Mohanthal

Today I learnt of Mohanthal from a neighbor at community potluck. One of the dishes was a malai kofta made from mexican squash. Another neighbor spoke about how hard she found to make batura. She said that as she would shape the dough, it would spring back to its original shape. That makes me appreciate the complexity of dishes and the act of cooking. My neighbor impressed with my interest in he sweet, shared some Mohanthal with us. It is truly a sweet from heaven. I was reminded of a sweet from my marriage. Another neighbor quipped about the satisfactoin of eating when very hungry and not as much when you eat on time everyday, which resonated in the following lines of Charles Bukowski in  Wandering in the cage. "the best thing about near-starvation and hunger is that when you finally eat it is such a beautiful and delicious and magical thing. people who eat 3 meals a day throughout life have never really tasted food… "