Skip to main content

Traveler foods

On our train trips mom often packed Pulihora
Judith Choate calls Macaroni and Cheese, a great traveler in her book A Readers Cookbook.

Maple-Mustard sauce in this book piques my tongue. Garlic Almonds doesnt.
Pollo borracho
Cranachan
Pissaladiere

Liberian coconut bread
This bread needs coconut water. Although I can find canned ones, I want to use a fresh coconut for this. Today at Safeway I walked by Zico coconut water. In the last month, I have offered some coconuts to God and each was an experience.
Once I broke the coconut and forgot to save the coconut water.
Another was so tender that I ate it even before it could get home.
One turned rot and thats believed to be a good thing.

Ma'amoul

Dal Pancakes. I happened to have Patoli for lunch today which requires yellow split peas to be soaked. I should have soaked them longer for the dish to be more palatable. Yesterday a colleague of mine passionately recalled  dal puri being made in Caribbean by a lady who grew spices in her backyard. I havent heard of dal puri, but the recipe is similar to polelu or bobatlu or bakshalu (which traditionally use yellow split peas. I wonder how the one with moong dal stuffing tastes. ), a sweeter version of it.

Mai Fun. with my Singapore friend's recommendation I tried Mee goreng when I was there.
Any traveler who goes to singapore and doesn't have a bowl of Laksa might as well call the trip a waste of time. - Andrew Zimmerman, The Bizarre Truth.


Gado gado
Laab

Baked Bananas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

October butternut cake

October butternut cake  tasted a bit - airy like corn bread. Skipped the frosting and used melted chocolate and served it with frozen custard.