Skip to main content

Before hand


When I read of the Sourdough bread in Bread and Sweetrolls, I was scared to leave the milk out to spoil it. Afraid that the Arizona heat will decompose the milk. I will wait until winter, then I know that it is a natural process.
Yesterday I wanted to make Eastern Mediterranean flat bread from Mediterranean Clay pot cooking. It called for a starter, which means I had to wait till today. Sponge. I read that it is made with equal parts water and bread and some yeast. This recipe calls for 1/2 proportion of water to bread. Wonder how it will figure in the bread making.
When I took the sponge out to mix, I was tickled at the consistency of the sponge.
This recipe calls for a 500F. Now I have never gone that high before.
With so much wait time in between of 2 hours while the yeast is let to do its charm, what do boulangers do? I was reading 'Writing creative nonfiction' edited by Carolyn Forche and Philip Gerard.
Back to the oven, I reduced some times by few minutes. It being the fag end of the day, beyod my sleeping time, I had to get things rolling. The actual baking got done quickly. Today the special skills I required of my sous chef were waving the smoke away from the detector. It was the faintest beginning. All is well in the end. 4 tsps of salt is too much for my taste.


I am happy with the bread. The smells were really bready, only at 11pm in the night is not the right time for anyone trying to sleep. I like the softness of the bread. I could have made it more flatter.
This morning it smells more like a fry bread.
Robert Frost wrote a poem on Cliff Dwellers. He surprises me. He wrote one on Canis Major too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

October butternut cake

October butternut cake  tasted a bit - airy like corn bread. Skipped the frosting and used melted chocolate and served it with frozen custard.