Skip to main content

Popovers



Tired from the day, I wanted to make a bread quickly. I picked Breads and Sweetrolls cookbook for this purpose. Its a thin book but it is all business. This is the firstbook where I saw a simplified sketch of a picture of different kind of breads, with only outline and numbers within, followed by a legend.
I didnt believe the popover recipe that it requires only eggs, flour, milk and salt.
I heard of them from a lady who works at the apartment office. Few minutes into the oven, they rose. The recipe called for 400F for 50 min. I was skeptical about it. The inside seems not so well done.

since this is a harmless set of things to work with, I can experiment with muffin pans and starting with a higher temperature and reducing it over the next half to see if the inside cooks well.
Fun experiment with no guilt involved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egg Malai Masala

  Egg Malai Masala  Its fun when things turn out as they should. I pureed the onions and then cooked them well. I added the milk for the egg Malai Masala and made chicken curry with other half of the onion base. I used kasoori methi in both. Many times I have felt the onions grainy, but this time I got it right. Patience.

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

Mohanthal

Today I learnt of Mohanthal from a neighbor at community potluck. One of the dishes was a malai kofta made from mexican squash. Another neighbor spoke about how hard she found to make batura. She said that as she would shape the dough, it would spring back to its original shape. That makes me appreciate the complexity of dishes and the act of cooking. My neighbor impressed with my interest in he sweet, shared some Mohanthal with us. It is truly a sweet from heaven. I was reminded of a sweet from my marriage. Another neighbor quipped about the satisfactoin of eating when very hungry and not as much when you eat on time everyday, which resonated in the following lines of Charles Bukowski in  Wandering in the cage. "the best thing about near-starvation and hunger is that when you finally eat it is such a beautiful and delicious and magical thing. people who eat 3 meals a day throughout life have never really tasted food… "