Skip to main content

Tofu Butter Masala Pizza

I got to have the Pizza, so I can vouch for the taste and texture of the Pizza.
The friend who made gutti dondakaya had this to say about making Tofu Butter Masala Pizza.


"One fine Monday evening, I was talking to my friend about our recent trip to Seattle and it stirred up vivid memories of eating the delectable "Paneer Butter Masala Pizza" at the Can Am Pizzeria, Bellevue.
It got me thinking so much about it that I decided to try my hand in making pizza and recreate  some of that magic in my home (Phoenix,AZ). I started off with the recipe I found on mehtakhushbu.blogspot.com and tweaked it to my style. I garnered from the blog and other pizza recipes that the general of rule of thumb was to use the paneer butter masala gravy as the pizza sauce and paneer pieces in the curry (in my case tofu) along with other veggies as toppings. In my first trial, I didn't want to risk making pizza base (from the scratch) so I used the ready made one instead. I made the curry, filled the 8in pizza base with dollops of gravy, added green and red bell pepper, onions and cilantro for topping, sprinkled cheese on top and baked it in the oven.The resulting pizza may have seemed close to the original one as far as taste was concerned but texture wise it didn't feel right at all. So in my second trial, I made the pizza base from the scratch and this time I put a thin layer of the gravy and added same toppings as last time. There was a world of difference in texture and my husband and his friends simply loved it!
 My two experiments helped me understand that there is a lot more to making a tofu masala pizza than it seems. For example, the gravy needs to be the right consistency to be used as pizza sauce and also, it shouldn't contain as much cream or butter as the curry recipe. In my next attempt (in the hope of getting a result closer to that pizza from the other world), I am going to make sauce with no cream and also marinate  tofu in the gravy with yogurt before using it as topping. This way I will have scope to add more cheese. And another important note is to use cilantro as garnish after baking and not as topping before baking."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egg Malai Masala

  Egg Malai Masala  Its fun when things turn out as they should. I pureed the onions and then cooked them well. I added the milk for the egg Malai Masala and made chicken curry with other half of the onion base. I used kasoori methi in both. Many times I have felt the onions grainy, but this time I got it right. Patience.

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

Mohanthal

Today I learnt of Mohanthal from a neighbor at community potluck. One of the dishes was a malai kofta made from mexican squash. Another neighbor spoke about how hard she found to make batura. She said that as she would shape the dough, it would spring back to its original shape. That makes me appreciate the complexity of dishes and the act of cooking. My neighbor impressed with my interest in he sweet, shared some Mohanthal with us. It is truly a sweet from heaven. I was reminded of a sweet from my marriage. Another neighbor quipped about the satisfactoin of eating when very hungry and not as much when you eat on time everyday, which resonated in the following lines of Charles Bukowski in  Wandering in the cage. "the best thing about near-starvation and hunger is that when you finally eat it is such a beautiful and delicious and magical thing. people who eat 3 meals a day throughout life have never really tasted food… "