Skip to main content

besan

Over a recent vacation, I had puri with aloo curry which had some soothing gravy in it. The host said that it had besan in it. So next thing to try is besan and aloo curry. This dum aloo with besan recipe sounds very interesting. If I can make puri masala like this, I will recreate all the times I enjoyed it in the hostel. Theres a dry/fry version of aloo that my mom makes with boiled aloo that I dream of making, never quite get there with the boiledness of potatoes - due to microwave shortcuts.
All this besan mania happened when I was making brinjal curry which needed some time in cooking and my hunger led me to make the quick besan curry. I had tiny lumps in the curry. I asked my mom about premixing the besan in water, she thinks its not tasty that way. Besan curry was a favorite for the dinner, as it gets done in no time. My grandmom made the same curry very thick, not our favorite consistency.
I still need to find out why the bachali pappu I made last week was gooey. If I shouldnt be boiling the lentils with bachali??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egg Malai Masala

  Egg Malai Masala  Its fun when things turn out as they should. I pureed the onions and then cooked them well. I added the milk for the egg Malai Masala and made chicken curry with other half of the onion base. I used kasoori methi in both. Many times I have felt the onions grainy, but this time I got it right. Patience.

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

Mohanthal

Today I learnt of Mohanthal from a neighbor at community potluck. One of the dishes was a malai kofta made from mexican squash. Another neighbor spoke about how hard she found to make batura. She said that as she would shape the dough, it would spring back to its original shape. That makes me appreciate the complexity of dishes and the act of cooking. My neighbor impressed with my interest in he sweet, shared some Mohanthal with us. It is truly a sweet from heaven. I was reminded of a sweet from my marriage. Another neighbor quipped about the satisfactoin of eating when very hungry and not as much when you eat on time everyday, which resonated in the following lines of Charles Bukowski in  Wandering in the cage. "the best thing about near-starvation and hunger is that when you finally eat it is such a beautiful and delicious and magical thing. people who eat 3 meals a day throughout life have never really tasted food… "