Skip to main content

Chorafali and Mathiya


 If Chorafali and Mathiya sounds Greek and Latin, then you are not alone. My neighbour had called us over for a breakfast. Wonderful breakfast it was, with us asking her what is that, what is this and how is it made. Chorafali requires lot of work in beating up the dough. I am told that sometimes its put in a cover and rolled under the car.
When I heard of Mathiya, I was thinking of my favourite Matri and wondered why they weren't matching up. These papads like the one made with urad dal have a stick to the teeth and tongue feel.
Lets talk more papad. Every kid learns of Lijjat Papad with Lijjat Papad eh heh eh. Even as a kid one thing that I had against the Lijjat Papad over the one other - sticky feeling is its spice from pepper flecks.
I love Gujarati food because that is the kind of Indian cuisine that most westerners don’t know about says Padma Lakshmi of Top Chef. But there are many more Indians too that dont know of it. Gujarati cuisine is like that mysterious person who constantly intrigues you with but wait there's more.
The breakfast was a wonderful culture tete-a-tete with words like fafda and papdi thrown around. we even got to have a different shaped papdi with a tall cup of tea, for which I said a mental no but thanked myself for keeping it internal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

October butternut cake

October butternut cake  tasted a bit - airy like corn bread. Skipped the frosting and used melted chocolate and served it with frozen custard.