Skip to main content

On the Curry Trail: Chasing the Flavor That Seduced the World

 


On the Curry Trail: Chasing the Flavor That Seduced the World by Raghavan Iyer


Chunky potatoes with buttermilk is quick to make with easily available ingredients. Chef's have such a beautiful way of talking of food. They make us appreciate food in ways rhat are missed by common eaters and cooks. For example in the chunky potatoes video, Chef Raghavan Iyer brings our attention to the color of the just grinded paste. In Masala chai, Chef Chetna talks about the tea getting an almost caramel color. Thinking this way, we can enjoy cooking and elevate ir from the chore it can get to, if we dont take the effort to infuse novelty into it, either with new recipes or new ingredients.
My younger one thought the curry was too garlicky. I thought it was wonderful to have a gravy curry done so quickly. I scrape the potatoes, cube them and then microwave them for 6 minutes. In that time, you can have rest of the stuff ready. I prepared it more runny than the recipe. Looked forward to more cooking and learning this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egg Malai Masala

  Egg Malai Masala  Its fun when things turn out as they should. I pureed the onions and then cooked them well. I added the milk for the egg Malai Masala and made chicken curry with other half of the onion base. I used kasoori methi in both. Many times I have felt the onions grainy, but this time I got it right. Patience.

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

Mohanthal

Today I learnt of Mohanthal from a neighbor at community potluck. One of the dishes was a malai kofta made from mexican squash. Another neighbor spoke about how hard she found to make batura. She said that as she would shape the dough, it would spring back to its original shape. That makes me appreciate the complexity of dishes and the act of cooking. My neighbor impressed with my interest in he sweet, shared some Mohanthal with us. It is truly a sweet from heaven. I was reminded of a sweet from my marriage. Another neighbor quipped about the satisfactoin of eating when very hungry and not as much when you eat on time everyday, which resonated in the following lines of Charles Bukowski in  Wandering in the cage. "the best thing about near-starvation and hunger is that when you finally eat it is such a beautiful and delicious and magical thing. people who eat 3 meals a day throughout life have never really tasted food… "