Skip to main content

Cracked Wheat Pongal

This morning we were thinking about 'What for breakfast'. We had upma yesterday morning and semiya upma last night at friends. So it had to be something with cracked wheat. The fast method of letting the steam cook the cracked wheat does not infuse much flavor into the upma as it gets only quick seasoning treatment unlike the boiling method.
Since the last week, making the perfect soft pongal has been in my head. Wounded by last failure, the pongal monster roared back with an idea of cracked wheat kichdi.
Cracked Wheat Kichdi it is.
onions
jeera
green chillies
ginger paste
lemon pepper (cause I have it and anyways leave most of the whole pepper when I add them)
1 cup moong dal
2 cups fine cracked wheat
6 cups water
definitely salt. (For some reason salt has slipped my culinary dictionary since yesterday. I didnt add it in upma yesterday. saving grace is cucumber pickle. I was focusing so much on adding the spice to it through ginger, pepper and chillies, that salt got blindsided.)

The obsession with making pongal is that I love kichdi and ponal and want to learn to make them right. last week for Krishnashtami, I saw  afriend make pongal and when I saw her  frying moong dal a bit before making the pongal, it felt like I wa sbeing led into the secret world of making pongal. I tried it at home, but it was still dry. Coming to think of it, I used a rice cooker, I should have used a press
ure cooker. Another friend suggested using more water. so some more experiments.





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

October butternut cake

October butternut cake  tasted a bit - airy like corn bread. Skipped the frosting and used melted chocolate and served it with frozen custard.