Skip to main content

How I own a Cute Thermometer

It starts with Ellie Matthews mention of Curry Dinner Rolls, spiced dough rolled around plain yogurt,chopped peanuts and green onions in her book 'The Ungarnished truth'.

I have once seen fresh Dinner Rolls come out of an oven at a Thanksgiving Dinner at host family here. And I was out of bread. All together, I found myself reading about yeast and the need for a thermometer.

Given the horror around baking outcomes, although I made the first leap, either I have to get used to the hard kind of lean breads or drop the towel and move into the 'soft zone'. The first seems more likely.

Looks like hell's gonna break loose, cause I am about to compensate for my failed skills in pottery by shaping dough. I already have a design in mind - honey bottle shaped like teddy. Let the oven get charged up for some heavy duty.


9.1.2014

Ten years ago I made gulab jamun. In the interim, I have never made it again, for a good reason. The donuts got frozen in the icy syrup. As that nightmare melts, I was ready to use the thermometer. having learnt the lesson of not overcooking the syrup. But the thermometer seemed to have a starting problem. It wouldnt go beyond 200F and I needed it to go upto 230F. At some point, I just called it syrup. The back of the box

Gits Gulab Jamun box called for 4 cups of sugar and 3 cups of water. Now thats a mountain of sugar. So I followed another syrup recipe. But then I didn note the proportion of syrup to gulab jamun. After mine was done soaking, there wasnt any left for the jamuns to float in. Must be Climate Change.
There are people who make jamuns that look transparent like the one in the picture. I am gonna  bug them all about the tips. But there's one thing that comes in the way. One is to roll the ball,s o they dont have any cracks. Now thats lot of work.
For how many foods do you remember the first time you had them. Gulab jamun is one such for me. That is when I learnt of baking soda and its use too.

gulab jamun recipe with Bisquick and dry milk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

October butternut cake

October butternut cake  tasted a bit - airy like corn bread. Skipped the frosting and used melted chocolate and served it with frozen custard.