Skip to main content

Semi udupi Veg pulav

Having just made chicken biryani, I altered plans of making veg biryani to veg pulav.  I started looking at Sanjay Thumma's veg pulav which had  a mention of udupi style pulao in which the vegetables are deep fried and then added in the end. By then I had already watched a video of Desi potato korma. I didnt want to boil potatoes, and then thought may be I could fry potatoes or bell pepper and use it in this curry recipe. This udupi style veggie frying and the additions for the korma, converged and thats when I thought that this whole mish mash of somewhere in between udupi style was going to be my ultimate pulav without need of a curry. Instead of deep frying, I did free style frying with lots of oil. I added 1 cup of milk and 3 cups water for 2 cups rice. I could have gone with a little less oil. But the recipients enjoyed the pulav and made all the mental effort worthwhile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egg Malai Masala

  Egg Malai Masala  Its fun when things turn out as they should. I pureed the onions and then cooked them well. I added the milk for the egg Malai Masala and made chicken curry with other half of the onion base. I used kasoori methi in both. Many times I have felt the onions grainy, but this time I got it right. Patience.

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

Mohanthal

Today I learnt of Mohanthal from a neighbor at community potluck. One of the dishes was a malai kofta made from mexican squash. Another neighbor spoke about how hard she found to make batura. She said that as she would shape the dough, it would spring back to its original shape. That makes me appreciate the complexity of dishes and the act of cooking. My neighbor impressed with my interest in he sweet, shared some Mohanthal with us. It is truly a sweet from heaven. I was reminded of a sweet from my marriage. Another neighbor quipped about the satisfactoin of eating when very hungry and not as much when you eat on time everyday, which resonated in the following lines of Charles Bukowski in  Wandering in the cage. "the best thing about near-starvation and hunger is that when you finally eat it is such a beautiful and delicious and magical thing. people who eat 3 meals a day throughout life have never really tasted food… "