Skip to main content

Classic Cookies with Modern Twists




Washboard cookies

Not so washboard cookies. I didnt give them the tine treatment. While dipping the cookies in coconut, I though why not Chia seeds, and thats how we have those dots on the cookies. The recipe in the book is slightly different from the link here as it has coconut-lime twist.

I love the cover of the 'Classic Cookies with Modern twist' book by ellen Jackson and the pictures too. Wish there were pictures for every recipe like the other reviewers felt too. Lack of some pictures was glaring, because its not like there are no pages. Each recipe takes two to three pages and it seemed like the recipe you liked wasnt matching the picture because it never made it into the book. The smaller size of the book makes it, easy to tackle.

I tried the washboard cookies. Liked the flavour and texture.My little one too got involved in mixing and rolling them out onto the cookie sheet.

Next up might be snickerdoodles. I have had them as a signature dessert from a fusion place and cant wait to put the flag on the SnickerDoodle Mountain, making my own.

I can keep staring at the grahamcracker with its and bits of sugar on the brown square cookie reminding me of Bourbon biscuits in India.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egg Malai Masala

  Egg Malai Masala  Its fun when things turn out as they should. I pureed the onions and then cooked them well. I added the milk for the egg Malai Masala and made chicken curry with other half of the onion base. I used kasoori methi in both. Many times I have felt the onions grainy, but this time I got it right. Patience.

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

Mohanthal

Today I learnt of Mohanthal from a neighbor at community potluck. One of the dishes was a malai kofta made from mexican squash. Another neighbor spoke about how hard she found to make batura. She said that as she would shape the dough, it would spring back to its original shape. That makes me appreciate the complexity of dishes and the act of cooking. My neighbor impressed with my interest in he sweet, shared some Mohanthal with us. It is truly a sweet from heaven. I was reminded of a sweet from my marriage. Another neighbor quipped about the satisfactoin of eating when very hungry and not as much when you eat on time everyday, which resonated in the following lines of Charles Bukowski in  Wandering in the cage. "the best thing about near-starvation and hunger is that when you finally eat it is such a beautiful and delicious and magical thing. people who eat 3 meals a day throughout life have never really tasted food… "