Skip to main content

To start cooking at age 8 is a feat

Muffins and Mayhem. This book with the author's photos of her childhood reminds me of a Rita Mae Brown book.
Authors blog.

shirttail relative like langoti yaar.

Dream
A lady ripped open
the huge tire of a
big car that I was in
There were no problems
to report
I wondered why my car
was getting the check

The author Suzanne Beecher went for an auto mechanic program.

Even if 'Muffins and Mayhem' didnt have the recipes at the end of each chapter, the book would be no less valuable. With her never-give-up attitude author Suzanne Beecher, provides the readers with recipes that will leave them not only basic-needs-met-happy but content. The (if disorderly) in the title as well as her life, adds the texture to her story.Her decision process in selling her publishing business is insightful into what success is and if you can lose and still be happy, or gain and feel bad.

Even through her foibles, she learns and becomes a better person.I find similarities in her life and 'Blood, bones and butter' Gabrielle Hamilton's. The latter doesn't flesh out the story from childhood, but as adults both have a strong work ethic that saves them from past ghosts of errors.

The success of the book lies in the author's voice, its intimacy.

Reading group guide

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egg Malai Masala

  Egg Malai Masala  Its fun when things turn out as they should. I pureed the onions and then cooked them well. I added the milk for the egg Malai Masala and made chicken curry with other half of the onion base. I used kasoori methi in both. Many times I have felt the onions grainy, but this time I got it right. Patience.

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

Mohanthal

Today I learnt of Mohanthal from a neighbor at community potluck. One of the dishes was a malai kofta made from mexican squash. Another neighbor spoke about how hard she found to make batura. She said that as she would shape the dough, it would spring back to its original shape. That makes me appreciate the complexity of dishes and the act of cooking. My neighbor impressed with my interest in he sweet, shared some Mohanthal with us. It is truly a sweet from heaven. I was reminded of a sweet from my marriage. Another neighbor quipped about the satisfactoin of eating when very hungry and not as much when you eat on time everyday, which resonated in the following lines of Charles Bukowski in  Wandering in the cage. "the best thing about near-starvation and hunger is that when you finally eat it is such a beautiful and delicious and magical thing. people who eat 3 meals a day throughout life have never really tasted food… "