Skip to main content

Thai buffet

That can be a rough draft for a definition of heaven. Even though I have been to one and found the food not much worth talking about, still the idea of a Thai buffet 'arouses my senses' like chuao wishes to.
Once the two tables were joined for a party of five, we were still two steps away and the waiter asked us about our drinks. How do waiters remember the orders? Especially if we are in a jumble with no 'fixed by seating' advantage. The order was easy enough. He just had to remember that one girl had ordered water. My colleague liked that the lemon tea was unsweetened.
I shy away from noodles and pasta as I do not want to have the whole of the serving. But a buffet is a good place to try just enough. I enjoyed pad thai and should hit myself for wanting a local freshly made noodles store to have the sweet and sour variety instead of basking in the glory of its kitchenivity. I had Thai omelette and liked it and couldnt say if I liked it because I like omelette. That too had the sweet and sour element to it.
I was very taken by two symmetrical stubby fish statues that were positioned like they were golf sticks. At another corner there was a bundle of fake vegetables. The fake orchids on the table. They could have been of a taller cut to risk giving away. Closer to the food array is a pink trapezoid. It could have a mummy in it. To increase the unsettling is an inclined heavy duty cylinder pole.
The bubbles in fried wafers, all spill out guilt once they touch the mouth. At the end of it, I had no place for dessert. Fresh fruit on a colleagues plate looked inviting. More so was the banana discs. Looking at them I was reminded of satyanarayana vratam prasadam. The version I know has fresh coconut cut into pieces and no ghee and cashew nuts. (Caracas is the first chocolate that I had with pistachio in it). A full banana does not evoke appetite but some mandarin oranges around, I stacked them and made place for this concoction.
This is the point where wonders as Simone de Beauvoir in The Second Sex 'one does not know if the fried potatoes are desired for the husband or the husband for the fried potatoes'. Same is the case with anything that has cream in it.
As I was leaving the restaurant I saw a smaller pointed pyramid standing straight by the door. It was glass checked with green wooden strips.
All's well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egg Malai Masala

  Egg Malai Masala  Its fun when things turn out as they should. I pureed the onions and then cooked them well. I added the milk for the egg Malai Masala and made chicken curry with other half of the onion base. I used kasoori methi in both. Many times I have felt the onions grainy, but this time I got it right. Patience.

Vadi biyyam

Vadi Biyyam We do this for the 21st day of baby's birth. The rice is then cooked in a couple of days, with all neighbours invited for lunch. number of times a woman can receive lap rice odi biyyam songs

Mohanthal

Today I learnt of Mohanthal from a neighbor at community potluck. One of the dishes was a malai kofta made from mexican squash. Another neighbor spoke about how hard she found to make batura. She said that as she would shape the dough, it would spring back to its original shape. That makes me appreciate the complexity of dishes and the act of cooking. My neighbor impressed with my interest in he sweet, shared some Mohanthal with us. It is truly a sweet from heaven. I was reminded of a sweet from my marriage. Another neighbor quipped about the satisfactoin of eating when very hungry and not as much when you eat on time everyday, which resonated in the following lines of Charles Bukowski in  Wandering in the cage. "the best thing about near-starvation and hunger is that when you finally eat it is such a beautiful and delicious and magical thing. people who eat 3 meals a day throughout life have never really tasted food… "